Sage 50 Accounting – Installation
Information about installing Sage 50 Accounting on a network or allowing your computer's firewall to work with Sage 50 Accounting.
Sage 50 Accounting uses a component called the Connection Manager to manage access to its MySQL database. If accessing your data over a network, you will need to install the Connection Manager on the computer where the data is stored.
Firewalls and Sage 50 Accounting
Sage 50 Accounting uses a database called MySQL, which needs to open a port on your computer if used over a network. If you use a firewall and / or antivirus program, this connection will need to be authorized so that it is not mistakenly identified as an intrusion threat. If not addressed properly, this may prevent Sage 50 Accounting from installing or running properly.
Before Installing Sage 50 Accounting
It is critical to the installation and operation of Sage 50 Accounting that you configure any firewalls you may have.
We have prepared instructions on how to configure most of the common Internet security and firewall applications to allow Sage 50 Accounting to run.
If your firewall program is not listed in our Knowledgebase, you may select any of the firewall programs to obtain general guidelines for setting up your firewall, but you should refer to your firewall's help or documentation for more specific assistance.
Firewall Setup Instructions
If prompted by your firewall, always Allow or Unblock the following files:
- Alchemex.NET.Installation.Advertise.exe (IR component)
- AlchemexPolicy.exe (IR component)
- BICore.exe (IR component)
Some firewalls, like ZoneAlarm, may prompt you to allow additional Sage 50 Accounting related files. Allow these additional files as well.
Which Firewall Am I using?
If you are not sure which firewall program you are using, use one of the options below to find out.
- Run our Security Application Scanner to search your computer for firewall and anti-virus software.
- Move your mouse pointer over the icons in the system tray(displayed below), in the lower right corner next to the clock. Each icon should give you the name of the application that is running. Look for Internet security or firewall software.
- Select Start>All Programs, and then look for Internet security or firewall software.
For Windows XP users, select Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs
For Windows Vista/7 users, select Start>Control Panel>Programs and features
and then look for Internet security or firewall software.
- Click Start>Run (XP users) or Start(Vista/7 users). Type "services.msc" in the Open field and press Enter. The services list will open. Look for Internet security or firewall software in the services list.
Upgrading from a Previous Version of Sage Simply Accounting
When upgrading from a previous version of Sage Simply Accounting, remember to upgrade all computers on the network, including the data-only installation on the server. Backup the database before attempting to upgrade and remember data can not be opened in a previous version after the database has been upgraded.
Sage 50 Accounting 2014 can convert your existing data from any previous version of Sage Simply Accounting, as long as it's the same or higher edition. Open the data file and the conversion process will begin automatically. Before converting, create a backup of your existing data.
To keep your database healthy and Sage 50 Accounting running smoothly, it's a good idea to adopt a regular maintenance schedule. Some common tasks to include in your maintenance schedule are:
- Clearing old data you no longer need to look up Maintenance > Clear Data
- Advanced Database Check - Maintenance > Advanced Database Check
- Defragmenting your hard drive (Windows) Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
- Making sure your network is stable and configured optimally. Your network administrator or a local computer technician may be able to offer advice and suggestions. For basic information regarding server configuration view Configuring Sage 50 Accounting for a Server.
Linux Connection Manager
You can now store and access your Sage 50 Accounting data from a supported Linux Server. The Connection Manager for Linux is available to all customers running Sage 50 Accounting 2014, Sage 50 Accounting 2013 and Sage Simply Accounting 2012 and 2011.
- Click on the link to download SageSAConnMgr-3.0-1.i386.rpm.
- Choose the option to save the file, then click OK.
- The package will be saved to the folder you specified.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to download:
- Before you begin installing the Sage 50 Accounting Connection Manager, please read the text file to understand the prerequisites of installing the connection manager. The steps of the installation are included in LinuxConnectionManager_Readme.txt.
Running Sage 50 Accounting on Mac
Sage does not support Sage 50 Accounting—Canadian Edition on a Mac, including use with emulator software such as Parallels Desktop or Wine. However, we do have some customers that have had success using Parallels. Customers using Sage 50 Accounting on a Mac assume all related risks. For Mac users, Sage now offers Sage One, a cloud-based solution that works for Mac users and PC users alike.
Note: Sage has not done extensive testing of Sage 50 Accounting in such operating environments and is unable to support these environments at this time or provide any warranties in connection with such use. However, we will continue to evaluate this as part of our ongoing planning.
Compatible with Windows 8®
Sage 50 Accounting 2014 has been designed and built to run on the Windows 8 operating system. We are proud to announce that Microsoft has certified Sage 50 Accounting to be "Compatible with Windows 8". By being certified, we can assure you that Sage 50 Accounting is easy to install and reliable on PCs running Windows 8.
Installation, Registration, and Activation Instructions
Looking for step-by-step help on installation, registration, and activation? Please visit our instructions page.